Holy Name of Jesus Parish was established in 1925 with Father Richard Ryan as pastor and the first Mass was held on October 26, 1925 in a rented community hall on Kirkham Street and 45th Avenue. A year later, a church was erected on 38th Avenue between Irving and Judah Streets. The modern concrete and steel structure the church is in today was dedicated on April 5, 1964.
Today, Holy Name of Jesus Parish is located at 1555 39th Ave in the Outer Richmond District of San Francisco and consists of the Church and Chapel, Pastoral Center, Flanagan Center, School, Preschool and Rectory.
The Pastoral Center now is the home to the Parish offices, Religious Education classes, the Conservatory of Music, and multiple Parish Organization offices; as well as the location of many group activities and meetings. The Chapel, now remodeled to accommodate about 60 people is where daily Masses are held with the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament every Wednesday. Intimate weddings and receptions can now also be held in the Chapel and the recently remodeled Victorian-inspired Dining Room.
Fr. Arnold E. Zamora is the 6th pastor of Holy Name.
In 2016, we introduced the Stewardship Spirituality or way of life of sharing our time, talent and treasure to the church. We are now on its second year of its implementation with Stewardship Renewal or Commitment Sunday every October.
We are proud to call our parish a Stewardship Parish with many volunteers sharing their time, talent and resources serving the church.